 Castle / 7882
Re: Custom Helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:34:30 GMT

Just had to go look up "Sculpy", which I presumed (correctly) was a plastic
"clay".  Nice results.  Did you bake it at some point?  I noted someone
mentioned it paints better when baked.
Bruce

Brief How-to.

These helmets were quite simple to make, actually.

1) roll your sculpy into a cylinder-shaped clump. Make sure it is wider than
a minifig head. Be sure it is well packed together.

2) Bake in an oven for 20-25 min at 275 degrees F.

3) OR, bake until clump is fairly hard....attempt to sick your fingernail
into the bottom of the clump (where the head will fit into). If it leaves a
slight impression, its done. You don't want it fully hard because it may
start cracking.

4) Let cool and prepare to hollow out the helmet using a rotary tool of some
sort. Keep placing on a minifig to make sure it fits well.

5) After hollowing out, cut eye slits (either 2 or 1 long one). I recommend
an X-Acto knife to do this. Its a good idea to place the helmet next to the
minifig head to determine where the eye holes go (perhaps mark slightly with
a pencil). Put the helmet back on the minifig and cut the eye holes...once
you have a few cuts, remove the helmet and continue to cut them out.

6) Using the the rotary tool, (use a sander bit) sculpt the desired shape.

7) Sand helmet consecutively using lower grade sandpaper (good idea to put
helmet back on minifig).

8) Rinse helmet. You can use a Q-tip to remove residue.

9) Dry and coat with Sculpy glaze.

10) Let dry and paint.

More detailed HOW TO coming soon.

-Kyle