 Castle / 7884
Re: Custom Helmets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:04:25 GMT

Oops, that should read $8 per cast.

In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
I've never cast anything myself, but I am aware that their is a number of
options for making casting molds at home in a process called 'room
temperature vulcanization.'  It's very common in modeling, especially with
military modelers.  I know of one modeling website (www.fidelismodels.com)
that will take a vehicle model (substantially larger than a minifig helm),
make a mold for $175, then run off up to a hundred copies for $8.
Considering the size of the piece, there should be someone to do it much
cheaper.

The material that they use to make models is commercially available for a
lot less if you're feeling daring - here's a link to one company's product:
http://www.micromark.com/casting.html

Kevin, who would be interested in a dozen or so of those helms.

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:
Very nicely executed.  Cast helmets or hand-carved?
Bruce

Sculpy and a Wizard cordless dremel tool (and *very* steady hands).

If anyone knows someone who has access to a cast molding machine, perhaps we
could consider making a mold and producing plastic replicas? Just a thought.

-Kyle