 Castle / 7728
Re: 2002 Lord of the Rings Lego line?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:29:44 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Gowing writes:
Is it just me? I just cant seem to get excited over the imminent Harry
Potter line.

Oh well I'd have to see what they came up with first...

O.k I have only read 50 pages of the first book, but it all
seemed to be based in a modern day town environment with characters who
wouldn't translate well into minifigs (ie: Harry and the other children are
too small and Hagrid too big).

The enviroment will shift to a magical castle enviroment once you read on...

I would therefore suggest that a "Lord of the Rings" line would be far more
appropriate for TLG to be developing. The film is due for release in
December 2002. It is truly fantasy based, mediaeval, full of knights,
wizards, castles, dragons, etc..

That would indeed be a very cool product line, lots of possibilities. I have
my doubts about the movie though, I don't see how you can put such an
elaborate story into a 120 minute movie... but that's a different matter.

I agree that the size of the Hobbits could
be a problem, but what the heck, they are fantasy figures, so there is more
scope for imagination.

Aren't the HP figures fantasy figures then? Besides, a LOTR line would also
have some practical difficulties that need to be resolved in order to be
able to recreate the plot: e.g. how would you imagine the One Ring to fit
around a minifig finger?  Also, unfortunately I think it's easier for TLC to
base sets on a storyline that primarily focusses on a few characters in a
castle then on a lot of characters in a whole imaginative world... you would
have to develop a *LOT* of sets in order to capture the story line of
LOTR... not that we would mind of course...

Cheers,

Wessel