 Castle / 7580
Re: Just curious......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:25:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Robbie Anderson writes:
I'm curious; do you prefer to make more bad guys or do you prefer good guys?
When I ask this, I'm asking everyone. Please respond. I myself prefer the
bad side of people because most of them have more interesting weapons than
others,
and also because most of the good guys portrayed in stories weren't real
heroic, in my eyes of course. I do know that they did fight and kill a lot, • but
bad guys go to the fight. The good guys usually don't. Well, that's my
opinion. Please post yours.

                                                     Keep on building,

                                                      Robbie @nder$on

Uh-oh, Anthony's responding, get ready to read a lot and ticked off at his
convoluded viewpoints.

It's a complicated question if you really get down into the nitty gritty.  What
exactly is a good guy and a bad guy?  And is there such a clear distinction
between the two?  It seems that in my own website, I have created as many
neutrally standing characters as good and bad ones.  But beyond that, I have
good characters doing bad things, and bad characters doing good things.  One
must first define what exactly is a good guy and bad guy.  I won't get into any
theological discussions on this point, so I'll just stop at pointing out the
task.
As for bad guys having better weapons, well, I cannot say one way or the other.
I suppose you could visit my website and look at all my characters and decide
which type of characters have the better, or cooler weapons. But all in all, I
think its all relevent.  Personally I think my Hero Sir Haleron has a pretty
cool lookin weapon.
As for the heroes not being heroic, well, I cannot say for sure.  I'd like to
think that in my own stories, my heroes were indeed heroic.  But beyond that,
according to my dictionary, a hero is one who is much admired, someone that is
to be looked up to.  Certainly, by this definition, the Wilson Raska's Vincent
Gage would be a hero, cause after all, if ya don't look up to Vincent, he might
strike you down where you stand ;)  But even though you may not consider
Vincent to be a hero, he definately is a protagonist.  Because by definition, a
protagonist is someone trying to complete a goal, and an antagonist is the
person (or persons) trying to prevent the protagonist from completing that
goal.  The great misconception of Star Wars is that Darth Vader is the
protagonist and Luke the antagonist.
I know not if you've read the stories contained in the Castle World website,
but there are some really good ones out there.  Pawel's first chapter contains
his character Veneer doin some pretty chivalrous stuff.  And it seems to me in
his first chapter, the good guys are doin all the killin.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

--Anthony

http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html
"For ages 8-12?  Oh that's ok, my inner child is only 10"