 Castle / 5316
Re: Musical advice - kinda OT, kinda not
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 02:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Eric,

Hey guys,

Hey yourself!

I was just wondering if any of you castle-heads out there can recommend • any
good castle building music???  Listening to the radio doesn't do it for me
when I'm building, and I don't care for silence.  I'm looking for • something
that can get my creative juices flowing the right direction. • Inspirational if
you will...

Thanks for looking!

Well, I am not a castle builder per se, but I found that soundtracks, like
movie soundtracks, without singing, video game music, classical, etc. are
good for building. A lot of loud singing / etc. does distract sometimes.

Scott S.

I'd agree with that.  If they are singing (at least in a language I can halfway
follow) I get distracted.  Virtually all the art courses I took in college used
instrumentals.

I agree that the lyrics can be distracting sometimes (especially Nine Inch
Nails)...depends on my mood.

To answer your question, Eric, it depends on what you are looking for.  Yes, I
know, but "castle building music" actually covers a broad area, depending on
your mood and personality.  Period music?  Go down to your favorite music store
- you'll probably be able to find a medieval and ren... (oh dang, I forget!)
renaissance (that looks right) section within the classical recordings.  Lutes,
recorders, dulcimers all work.

If you want something more stirring, movie music works: Erich Wolfgang Korngold
(The Sea Hawk, The Adventures of Robin Hood), Bernard Hermann, John Williams
all come to mind.

Wagner if you like

Flight of the valkyries?....oh my....lol

bombastic (make sure it is instrumental - the suggestion
of John Boorman's Excalibur

I couldn't remember the composer but I also pop the movie in whle I am
sorting or building to get me into that Medieal frame of mind = )

is refering to both this and Carl Orf's "Carmen
Burana" if I remember the spelling).  Thematically he seems closer to medieval
skullduggery than most classic composers, but choose your favorite (though I'm
not sure what kind of castle would emerge from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring).

How about Firebird suite...lol

Some of the new ageish textured music might work such as Michael Oldfield,
Vangelis (who did Blade Runner, not Tangerine Dream, though they are
interesting too).

Thanks, I was rushed and typed too quickly....

A number of other good suggestions are out there already.

I agree = )

                  John
(who now spends all the $ that used to go for cds on Lego)

Me?  Next time, Errol Flynn will be building next to me: Korngold!

Bruce