 Castle / 5085
Re: Great Eastern Wall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:49:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:

A great integration of traditional Euro-Castle elements
and Ninja theme sets.

This was one of my main ideas in building the wall.  How can I incorporate
castle and ninja together?  I had a ton of castle pieces from years of
collecting, plus a modest amount of ninja pieces to provide Eastern-looking
trim to the structure.  And I picked up those extra 6093's on clearance to get
more of those stone wall pieces and more blue soldiers.

The towers at either end happened because I was experimenting with how I could
use those half-octagonal tower pieces from the new Knight's Kingdom sets in a
way that looked better than what LEGO was doing with them in the sets (not that
I'm knocking the architectural genius of <set:6026>, of course).

I have been working on a garden, but I haven't been able to build anythin I
am happy with...I like yours alot.

I had grander plans for the garden, but I didn't leave enough space for
anything bigger.  But it turns out I'm happy with the elegant simplicity of the
way it turned out.

I see you have the same space limitations for building that I do...Heck I
lived in an aprtment very similar to yours 3 years ago...

I actually find that working around space limitations inspires "out-of-the-box"
thinking and fires up my creativity. :)

I liked the way you staggered the sloped wall segments
and gave it the landscape-contour look...

This was something else I'd been wanting to experiment with.  This is one good
thing about LEGO using the thicker baseplates for some of their recent castle
and ninja sets... they're great for landscaping hills.

Gotta love those Ninja doors!  Double height makes for
an intimidatndg presentation...

Actually, this was an afterthought.  My Emperor's palanquin was too tall to fit
through the gates when I only used one set of doors.  Funny how some of the
best features in models come about by accident. :)

Are you dismantling this one too? or are yo going to continue to dd to it?

I'll probably keep it around for a while because it actually fits in well as
decoration and makes a nice conversation piece, but I think I'm done adding to
it.  I had to dismantle the last castle the day after I took pictures of it
because I was moving. :)  No such time constraints this time, so this one will
probably last until I decide what to build next and start needing parts.

--Mike