 Castle / 4714
Re: Early Castle Wall Components Musings...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:10:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard W. Schamus writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Brown writes:

Richard Schamus wrote:

Anyway, my research has led me to find that there were 8 original
components before TLC abandoned this idea.  I'll list them for you if you
are not familiar with these sets. 6034 - Black Monarch's Ghost, 6040 -
Blacksmith Shop, 6041 - Armor Shop, 6059 - Knight's Stronghold, 6061 -
Siege Tower, 6062 - Battering Ram, 6067 - Guarded Inn, and finally 6074 -
Black Falcon's Fortress. One small bit of trivia is that 6081 - Kings
Mountain Fortress, has a connection pin in the appropriate spot for adding
to the other sets, it's just a bit low because it's on a baseplate and not
on a full plate.  Arguably, this could be considered as a 9th, but it might
be stretching it.

Nitpick!  You forgot 6073 Knight's Castle!  6073 and 6074 connect well
together, too.  :)  On top of that, 6080 King's Castle and 6085, when
opened, can both accept wall pieces, although they are on baseplates.

To nitpick back, yes, if you opened 6073, it does accept the wall pieces, (I
have one you see, so I do know,) but it was not originally designed to do so.

Actually, they *were* designed to do just that.  The wall sections were
designed to allow you to expand the big castles.

The same with with 6074 and to the same extent as the 6081 with the baseplate
mounting.  To be fair to the castle wall components though, these other sets
were concieved either before or after the concept was initiated and then
abandoned.

What exactly do you mean by this?  6080 and 6061, for example, were released at
the same time.  Therefore, it seems obvious to me that 6061 was supposed to be
added to 6080 so as to make the castle larger.  Alternately, it could've been
added to 6073 to increase the size of that castle as well.  The castles were
designed so that while they could be used stand-alone, they could also be
easily expanded.  The exact same ideas were behind the release of 6034 and
6059: add-ons to 6085.
Which reminds me:  Has anyone noticed how 6034 *cannot* be used as a castle
wall component (with other stock wall components) in its unaltered form?

Jeff