 Castle / 4294
Re: Novice Castle Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:52:38 GMT

For a long time, I called those pieces "dressing" until a horse-person
corrected me with an unnecessary salad comment.  Oops!  Here is the
explanation she gave me as I remember it:
Any piece that is used as armor is a "bard" ("barding" collectively).
However "barding" can also be applied to the ornamental drapings of a horse
like what you see in a tournament.  "Trapping" or "trappings" are pieces that
are ornamental.  So it depends on the purpose.  If you have the horse in a
tournament joust, they are either trappings or bardings.  If you have the
horse in a combat situation, it's technically barding.