 Castle / 4306
Re: Novice Castle Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.castle, Paul Davidson writes:
Is there a glossary of medieval terminology somewhere?

I'm sure there is, somewhere. (An SCA website perhaps?)

Heh... I was just about to answer Paul's question when I saw yours... :)

The two places I look first when I run across something I don't know are:

http://www.sca.org/misc.html
--> miscellaneous links from the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)
website, there's a large number of good informational links off of here,
including glossaries, and encylopedic sites.

http://orb.rhodes.edu/
-->The Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies is a great resource,
although it can be a bit intimidating to hunt around in.  I'd recommend the
"Of General Interest" section to answer most common questions.

Mine just comes
from reading. A *lot*. 8)

Well, ya, that's my other vice. ;)

On the other hand. www.dictionary.com has been fairly complete when I've
used it - I did it for the quoted post, in fact, to sanity-check what I
remembered a 'gambeson' being.

Dictionaries in general are good, as are topical encyclopedias. (like ORB
above).

And yup, that is indeed what a gambeson is, both traditional and current.  I
have one in my car right now, in fact, alongside the rest of my armour. :)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.