 Castle / 4304
Re: Novice Castle Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:17:30 GMT

Is there a glossary of medieval terminology somewhere?  The knowledge of
some of you in these discussions (that farrier vs. ferrier one comes to mind
as well) amazes me. :)

--

Paul Davidson
www.theforce.net |  Your Daily Dose of Star Wars

Jeff Johnston <sakura@mediaone.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.castle, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.castle, Scott Arthur writes:
Novice Castle Question:
In the castle sets, what is the proper name for the hood and apron the
horses wear?

Caprison? or is that something else?

I usually call it "barding" which is sort of a generic term for horse
armor.

It could be a 'caparison' which is an ornamental horse-covering.  In fact,
that's probably a better word for it since it doesn't seem particularly
armored.

The dragon-headed "horse helmet" is a chamfron.

Whilst we're at it whats a gambleson?

A 'gambeson' is like a quilted and padded tunic.  I think it was usually
used underneath other armor (like mail) to provide padding.