 Castle / 20842
Re: BrickFest 2005!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
-How can we expand and improve the Classic Castle City display EVEN better
than it was last year. (aside from most obviously, making it bigger)

To be more realistic I would think that a walled City would be packed with
buildings as merchants would want the protection. So with that in mind I think
the area inside the outer wall was much too big for the number of buildings that
we had last year. By bringing the walls in we could pack the city and at the
same time have more space outside the walls for the poor folk and farmers.
Perhaps even a village outside the walls. By packing the space inside the walls
that gives the public more detail to peak their interest.

-What stuff did non castleheads seem to like the most last year? (both AFOLs
and the general public) What can we do to make the Castle Room a highlight
of the event for everyone not just us diehard castlers?

From what I have seen the public likes to be able to open walls and look inside.
They also like to turn cranks to make things work. I had both incorporated in my
castle last year and it went over big. Most everything at Brickfest is a hands
off approach when it comes to the general public. By giving them some hands on
MOCs it is a good way to compete with the motion of the trains.

-Do you guys have any suggestions for new building challenges, themes,
competitions etc?

I think a theme approach might work, something like “Life outside the castle”,
“Stages in the life of a castle” or “Festival”. Break the room up into 4 or so
main displays. Where as a “Stages in the life of a castle” might have several
different models showing how a given Castle has been altered by each ruler over
hundreds of years, a “Life outside the castle” might show different parts of a
country in the same time period.
"Festival" could have pilgrims coming to the castle for some event.

As far as buildings inside or even outside the walls, there should be categories
for the buildings  with perhaps a competition in each category.  That way a
person could build in each category and we could try to make sure there are
enough of each building type to make a better display.

-Think micro. That's all I'll say for now.

I say yes to this one. I am looking at doing the Tower of London in micro with
several MOCs showing the life of the Tower of London.

Here is a new item for thought. (I’m big on games so how about this) We could
have a contest for the viewer where we ask them to answer questions on an entry
form then draw a winner from the ones that have all the right answers. It would
be something like looking at the MOCs and finding the answers to the questions
or it could be like a where is Waldo game. Perhaps a mix of the two. Something
that would get people looking and talking.