 Castle / 20822
Re: BrickFest 2005!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:09:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
Lords and Ladies, knights and peasants,

As you may have seen, BrickFest2005 has been officially announced for the 12th to the 14th of August.

BrickFest 2004 aside, how have Castle Rooms been handled at other conventions
and what sort of thing seems to be succesful?

     I can't help here as BrickFest'04 was my first and only Brick event, but I
do hope to make it to BrickFest'05.

Lets try to do a little brainstorm session here I'll start out by throwing out a
few key words, ideas and questions:

How can we expand and improve the Classic Castle City display EVEN better than
it was last year. (aside from most obviously, making it bigger)

     Reading the responses on the Classic Castle site, I know there was concern
with last years setup being too large to the point where some detail was lost to
the observer. It was suggested that this years display be smaller and the
buildings closer together, both of which I think are good ideas.
     Another idea? If there are enough MOCs, how about making two smaller cities
with countryside inbetween. The 'countryside' could consist of green baseplates
with tan plates/baseplates making a road to join the two cities. Add some trees
and a few country buildings to fill it in. (if I am able to make it, I will be
bringing a small windmill and probably some trees).

What stuff did non castleheads seem to like the most last year? (both AFOLs and the general public)?

     Lots of people seemed to enjoy the ancient Roman themed MOCs.

What can we do to make the Castle Room a highlight of the
event for everyone not just us diehard castlers?

     Just the fact that it's Castle makes it a highlight! :)

Do you guys have any suggestions for new building challenges, themes,
competitions etc?

     How about an Ancient theme MOC contest?
     Also, I imagine with the popularity (and ease of transport) of vignettes,
we should see a fair number of these small MOCs at BrickFest. A vignette contest
could also be a possibility.

Think micro. That's all I'll say for now.

     After BrickFest'04 I'm always thinking Micro. :)

I'd also like to have other people on the
actual Castle Room Coordinator team - helping me plan everything in advance and run stuff throughout the weekend. (Lenny Hoffman helped out last year and was particularly instrumental in getting the 3CS together.)

Working on coordinating a BrickFest room does involve some work in advance
(think creative and organisational type work) but it's all good fun. During the weekend itself it would mean spending a fair amount of time in the Castle Room but by no means would coordinator duties take up the whole weekend. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who is interested - both longtime members of the community and newbies too. If this sounds like something you'd like to do, do get in touch with me by email.

     I'm not positive yet if I will be able to attend this year, but I will keep
this in mind in case I can.

cheers

Magnus

     Thanks Magnus for all your work on last years Castle room - I truly enjoyed
it.

Ken