 Castle / 20832
Re: BrickFest 2005!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:23:36 GMT

Adrian,

Thanks for landing your spaceship in our little patch of the LEGO universe for a
quick touchdown! The humble but noble Castleheads bid welcome their guest from
the heavans/future!

As a castle outsider (I've built very little in the theme, although some   > days I think it would really be fun),

C'mon you know you want to;)

I have to say that as Ken said, the castle layout
at BF04 was almost too big. What I thought it really lacked was nice looking
roads, and a cohesive design philosophy for the buildings.  They looked nice,
but appeared maybe a little TOO random.

Interesting, I personally felt that 95% of the buildings were all in the
Siskindian Tudor style, and the layout could perhaps have used more random
building styles. Maybe a round mud hut or a brown timber building here and
there.

Now the lack of roads was a result of the CCC's efforts to allow for more
randomized city (non) planning. I agree a main road going through town would
have been nice. But I understand that when the Castle Room did a similar layout
back in 2002, the highly organized layout and intricate roads meant that people
had to build withing certain strict parameters and this may have discouraged
some people from contributing.

It was also missing some of the details
that made it appear really lived-in.  They were there, of course (like the guy
trying to put out the fire),

Glad you remembered that one! A true classic!

but because the layout was so big, it was hard to
find them.  To be honest, moonbase layouts suffer from the same flaws.  It's the
trouble with group-built layouts that come together at the event like this, and
where (warning, compliment ahead) the train guys really shine with their
layouts.

I guess my take is that compared to Space, the castle displays like this look
less natural when they ae composed of varying building styles. I'd like to make
the walls look a little more uniform than last year while leaving lots of room
for personal style.

Train stuff does look excellent and the added element of moving stuff makes it
all the more attractive. But I suspect that builders who are drawn to the Train
theme may be more "planners types" than your average Castlehead. The trick with
a display like this is to leave it flexible enough so that you can accomodate
last minute surprises. That's the beauty (and point) of modularity.

Perhaps this year you guys should go with two or three separate cities.  Try to
theme each one in a different way and have yourselves cute little factional wars
that are all the rage these days.  Have one city-state invade the other, and
vice-versa.  Anchor each city with a big castle, a nice wall, a distinct style
(if that's possible).  Give each one a different army, and let 'em go at it.

That's an idea that I've heard from several people. How much interest is there
out there for something like this?

How did your "You pick the results of the war" event go last year?  Perhaps
expand on that, and make the city-state war evolve over the course of the
weekend.  Write it up ahead of time.  Have a nice storyline built up, that would
drive people to come back to the layout more frequently to see what's going on.

I think it went well, people seemed to return every now and then to see what had
happened since last time. In the end, the castle was taken through some skillful
use of ladders. I enjoyed developing everything, but I don't want to spend that
much time working on maintaining a evolving display this time around.

Hmm, you know...some of these ideas would work on Moonbase as well...

I'd love to see a development of the Moonbase comcept. When you get to  certain
point, you're just making the display bigger and bigger, and will end up just
taking up a longer and longer table. Maybe several displays scattered around the
room is one way to go?

Magnus