 Castle / 20823
Re: BrickFest 2005!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:52:49 GMT

(big ol' snip)

As a castle outsider (I've built very little in the theme, although some days I
think it would really be fun), I have to say that as Ken said, the castle layout
at BF04 was almost too big. What I thought it really lacked was nice looking
roads, and a cohesive design philosophy for the buildings.  They looked nice,
but appeared maybe a little TOO random.  It was also missing some of the details
that made it appear really lived-in.  They were there, of course (like the guy
trying to put out the fire), but because the layout was so big, it was hard to
find them.  To be honest, moonbase layouts suffer from the same flaws.  It's the
trouble with group-built layouts that come together at the event like this, and
where (warning, compliment ahead) the train guys really shine with their
layouts.

Perhaps this year you guys should go with two or three separate cities.  Try to
theme each one in a different way and have yourselves cute little factional wars
that are all the rage these days.  Have one city-state invade the other, and
vice-versa.  Anchor each city with a big castle, a nice wall, a distinct style
(if that's possible).  Give each one a different army, and let 'em go at it.

How did your "You pick the results of the war" event go last year?  Perhaps
expand on that, and make the city-state war evolve over the course of the
weekend.  Write it up ahead of time.  Have a nice storyline built up, that would
drive people to come back to the layout more frequently to see what's going on.

Hmm, you know...some of these ideas would work on Moonbase as well...

Adrian