 Castle / 20163
Re: Knights’ Kingdom™ is ugly.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:17:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’m somewhat of a lurker, but I saw this as a message I just couldn’t ignore. I’ll agree with Felix that the new sets, especially the Grand Tournament one, just don’t live up to the old castle standards. I recall being disappointed with the first Knight’s Kingdom series, since those show how, in my opinion, sets are becoming more and more simplistic: certain pieces now are basically combinations of 3 older ones. Sure, it’s simpler and takes less time, but I find it nowhere near as engaging. Still, the first Knight’s Kingdom series is far superior to the new one.

Perhaps the kids going after the new castle series are into the whole castle/knight/medieval thing, which is great, I know I was into it when I was seven. However, they’re buying the new ones because those are readily available, and the only thing around. The Black Falcon’s Fortress and Blacksmith’s Shop are the only surviving remnants of the old castle series, and they aren’t the best examples of sets that kids are after. The best thing would be smaller sets, say, with old knight minifig/horse/equipment combo, some small building sets, and create two groups within the series (Forestmen vs. Crusaders, etc.), and offer a few larger sets. Granted, that’s basically what they’re doing, but should LEGO make more old-fashioned sets available in larger quantities, instead of the new stuff, I think they could sell...kids looking at the castle stuff are gonna buy it. Two kids I watch down the street in elementary school are totally into it...they even wind up using space antennas for lances because there simply aren’t any lances in the sets they can buy. Kids don’t buy the re-releases because they have no idea what the old ones are like, or even that they existed. Make a new series entirely fashioned after the older ones, and the intrigued will buy it...it may not appeal to everyone, but those who are into it will love it and keep on loving it...