 Castle / 20162
Re: Knights’ Kingdom™ is ugly.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:54:49 GMT

I watch the local stores here in Singapore very closely. They each have a bunch of Yodas, Rebel Blockade Runners, Darth Maul heads, Red Baron Triplanes, Santa Fe Super Chiefs and Legend Black Falcon’s Fortress. All of these sets have been sitting on the shelf for maybe 6 months, and very few have sold. I know, because I am just waiting for them to go onto clearance before I buy a bunch.

On the other hand, the new Knights Kingom sets appeared last week, and with this thread in mind, I have noticed that they are selling. I even heard someone’s mother/aunt ask the sales assistant “Is this the new kind of Bionicle?”.

    10039 Black Falcon's Fortress
424 elements, 6 figures, US$40, 2002
LEGO > Legends
   Pretty, and sitting on the shelf

    8778 Border Ambush
178 elements, 2 figures, US$20, 2004
LEGO > SYSTEM > Castle > Knights' Kingdom II
   Pretty Ugly, and running out of the store

I gotta say that they are ugly to my AFOL eyes, but let’s not try to delude ourselves that the eyes of an AFOL are the same eyes as a kid.

The “values” in these sets seem to be mainly in the mold of “heroic fantasy action play-value” - ie lots of working features. They aren’t my values, but, hey, its been a long time since I was 9 years old!

Judging these sets is like judging Jack Stone by the values of Classic Town or Bionicles by the values of Classic Space - it just doesn’t go.

I judge Harry Potter by the values of Classic Castle and World City by the values of Classic Town. And in my opinion, they come out pretty well.