 Castle / 2003
Re: A mill?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:15:25 GMT

There are a couple of samples of medieval engineering in Idea Book 250, here
and following pages:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0250-1987/0250-40.html

Pretty simple, but a place to start.  Since I saw this, I've been fooling
around with a way to make a big wheel (maybe 8-12 studs across) that would turn
the gears, but haven't gotten very far.  Maybe it needs Technic, but might not
look rustic enough.  Just a thought.

Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
Following Eric's suit, I'm thinking of building a mill for the town...
Actually, I'm just planning on building another larger building. My problem
with building houses is that after building 7 houses (5 in white w/ black
trim), I've nearly RUN OUT of 1x1 black bricks!!! (yes, the impossible has
happened! Each house uses over 70, so roughly 370 total used so far) I've • still
got a bunch left, but not enough to do another large structure completely.

So what I was thinking is building something half timbered and half stone... • So
my first thought was a mill... But that led me to wonder, what in the world
does a mill LOOK like? Can someone point me at some pictures or perhaps • provide
some advice? Maybe it shouldn't be a mill, but another type of building? • Ideas
anyone?

Hi Dave,

I've seen a few water-powered mills in my life. I'm trying to remember (one
doesn't often remember second-grade field trips :-) what they looked like and
how they worked. Would you want them to be fully functional?

As Shaun pointed out, there are wind-powered mills too - they really look
better than water mills :-)

The water mills might've had the big wheel, but that would only be functional
near bigger rivers (IIRC). Sometimes the mills would've channeled the smaller
streams to make a waterfall in order to get more power. I don't really
remember this part, but somehow the water would spin a wheel :-) and then the
wheel would be connected by axles to two grinding wheels, between which the
wheat would be grinded.

<sigh> Those trips always seemed useless - guess I should've paid closer
attention! Who would've thought? ;-)

HTH,
Shiri

Just look at this! It involves lego, I promise ;-)
www.geocities.com/shiri_lego