 Castle / 2004
Re: A mill?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:55:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Heather Patey writes:
There are a couple of samples of medieval engineering in Idea Book 250, here
and following pages:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0250-1987/0250-40.html

Pretty simple, but a place to start.  Since I saw this, I've been fooling
around with a way to make a big wheel (maybe 8-12 studs across) that would • turn
the gears, but haven't gotten very far.  Maybe it needs Technic, but might not
look rustic enough.  Just a thought.

Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective

Edited for space

There were 2 common types of water mills. The undershot type were used in the
river and used the current to turn the wheel.  Overshot wheels used some kind
of aqueduct to feed the water in from the top.  Generally a bit more efficient
in using the available resources.

For a larger wheel, you might want to use the plate hinges that look like a 1x4
with a hinge in the middle to put together 8 1x4 plates in an octagonal shape.
What you'll use for the paddles on the inside, I would use the L shaped "turn
the corner" pieces.  Drat not having access to the lego dictionary here at
work.
The transmission from the wheel to the grindstone would be better with Technic
gears. I don't think you could do the cog system they used originally with
Legos.

Hope that helps

Lance