 Castle / 17446
Re: crusader keep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:50:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Johannes Koehler wrote:
   Hi Steve!

Hey, this keep looks really good! I like the use of mainly standard bricks and just few of these castle wall molded parts. I also like the several levels that are stairlike arranged, and the mix in the over-all design that is halfway asymmetrical but only symmetrical on the top part of the tower. This gives the hole building a “real” look since medieval castles were built without any major plans and blueprints :-) Like Anthony already said your building could pass for a keep standing somewhere in England.

i’ll tell you what, the best way to go about getting the “unplanned” look of real castles, is to actually start building without a plan! ;-) in reality, i didnt have a real idea of exactly what i wanted it to look like, i only knew i wanted a large tower protruding from part of the keep, everything else was made up on the fly! i like to use just standard bricks, with some castle walls as filler parts. if i had more corners walls, i would do circular towers, but i only have what is on the castle, so that will have to be down the road. i got most of my inspiration from Bob Carney’s castles, but also very much from your Burg Falckenstein. i like the realistic designs of yours and his. thank you, i appreciate the compliment about it passing for a real keep in England, i try to be accurate, so that is a big deal to me!

   As for the Crusaders identification thing: One red-yellow flag on the top would do it.

yeah, now if i could just get my hands on one..... ;-)

   Some landscaping would be nice though. I doubt that buildings like that were surrounded by grey asphalt :-)

i agree, some shrubs or something would be ideal. but, thank you for taking the time to comment on my castle! i like feedback, as i helps you to improve.

thanks steve

   Bye
Jojo