 Castle / 1742
Re: Teeny shack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:25:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley writes:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/shackfront.jpg
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/shackback.jpg
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/shackside.jpg
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/shackinside.jpg

Dave the "shack" looks great.  Is this supposed to be a "home" or just a
shack/chicken coop?  If it is a home is there any way to give them at least
one window?  I realise it is tough seeing the bricks you are trying to work
with but even peasant's need a little daylight :-).

I thought about this briefly-- after all I do have one brown window which would
look great... I think the thing I most wanted are brown shutters, though...
having them red or blue or yellow or white just didn't quite look right. (The
other reason I didn't include a window (well, rationalization really) is to
help hide the gloriously hideous interior :) I might try some 2x3 or 2x4 brown
bricks and prop them up somehow as shutters...

The other thing I was thinking about is a small stone chimney coming out one
side, wider at the base to make it give the appearance of an inner fireplace...
Another thing I want to find is a good way of representing a thatched roof...
the brown plates work ok, but that's another thing I don't have in quantity :(

Another source of a little brown is the Polybag Adventure's set they have at
TCS this has 2 1x6 brown bricks and a 6x6 brown plate.  Of course I am hoping
LEGO Direct will sell all bricks in all LEGO colors so this might not be a
worry in the future.  We can all hope!

Hmm... the 6x6 brown plate might be of great help for the roof... (although the
1x6 browns won't help so much for this... unless I turn them sideways and feign
1x1's...) Think I'll go check them out after work...

I really like the tan and brown.  It is definitly better for a peasants hut
but it is just way to tough to find :-(.  Maybe in a years time we will all be
able to build a DkGray Castle or a Brown Barn but until then we will just have
to deal with what we've got.  Come on LEGO Direct!

Actually, I've noticed that my dark grey collection is a lot higher than I
would have expected... with all the new castle stuff, SW sets, rock raiders,
and other tidbits all using dark grey, it's really helped... Tan and brown on
the other hand... :( Despite the fact that I have a lot of tan and brown
bricks, they're almost all the same kinds... I've got about 50 brown L-shaped
bricks, about 10 1x16 grey bricks, but so few 1x1's in either color, 1x2's in
tan, 1x4's in tan, etc... both the piece selection and piece availability in
these rare colors are really bad... Let's hope that LD will help shed some
light on the subject!

DaveE