 Castle / 16653
Re: Peasant's Hut
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:05:13 GMT

Hello!

i've always been amazed that most 'medieval' construction are more likely early
renaissance (being ~1500) to super-early modern (~1600)[1].  and I thought some
early medieval constructions might be welcome (~1000).

Good point! Me too often thinks that the term 'medieval' is seen in (too)
wide boundaries. Many buildings shown here are really nice and great build,
but they ain't quite medieval. Of course that's not a bad thing, however, I
like seeing some *real* medieval building like yours now. Well done!

Admittedly we have to differ between medieval village and medieval town. The
early medieval era was dominated by castle-settled knights and tributary
villages. Later on more and more towns were founded and those towns became
more important and powerful than the nobles sitting in their castles due to
merchants and craftsmen who advanced more progress and modern development
rather than peasants did.

The end of the Middle Ages often is identified with the time when Christobal
Colon found the 'seaway to India', 1492.

and on the 2nd note of the insurmountable mr. Hendo, I was thinking in adding
two sheep to the mix. just for fun. when the wife's away. >:o)

I'm not sure if I even want to understand this :-)

however, this is only a purely academic measure,
and sometimes i find this timeline: medieval (800-1500), renaissance
(1500-1700), industrial (1700-1900), modern (1900-1950), post-modern (1950+).

This timeline is IMHO far better than the simple three-period-timeline.
'Renaissance' could be divided in 'Renaissance' (1400-1600) and 'Baroque'
(1600-1700). The end of the middle ages and the beginning of the renaissance
of course overlap, depending on the location. In Italy the middle ages were
over earlier than in Germany.

Bye
Jojo