 Castle / 16649
Re: Peasant's Hut
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:02:20 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey writes:

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message
news:HDE5Jt.1IxF@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes: • snip
For suggestions, there are just two things I would consider.  First, where
does the smoke from the fire-pit go?  I see one of the hinges has what • looks
like pipes for a chimney outside, but it seems to empty into the eave of • the
roof.  Maybe if it poked up and over the roof a little it might work • better
for me. • snip
-Hendo

Im sure Lenny is more than capable of answering your question, and its his
model .... hoooowever .. a lot of this sort of building didnt have chimneys.
some had a simple hole, others relied on it escaping out of the door or
window. The high window on Lenny's modle would be good for this. Keeps the
place warmer I suppose
:)

well i hardly need some welsh guy speaking on my behalf, but I must say you are
correct!  i thought about adding a hole through the roof to allow the smoke to
escape, but later decided that the above door 'window' would probably work
better.  the level of technology i am indeed going for is pre-chimney.

i've always been amazed that most 'medieval' construction are more likely early
renaissance (being ~1500) to super-early modern (~1600)[1].  and I thought some
early medieval constructions might be welcome (~1000).

and on the 2nd note of the insurmountable mr. Hendo, I was thinking in adding
two sheep to the mix. just for fun. when the wife's away. >:o)

vive le crackhead
-lenstu

[1] = academically speaking there only three post-rome eras.  Medieval, lasting
from 800 - 1600, modern, 1600-1950, and post-modern 1950-2003.  pre-medieval is
usually called 'antiquity'.  however, this is only a purely academic measure,
and sometimes i find this timeline: medieval (800-1500), renaissance
(1500-1700), industrial (1700-1900), modern (1900-1950), post-modern (1950+).

and enough of the basic history lesson, for any most basely interested.