 Castle / 16652
Re: Peasant's Hut
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:53:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
well i hardly need some welsh guy speaking on my behalf, but I must say you are
correct!  i thought about adding a hole through the roof to allow the smoke to
escape, but later decided that the above door 'window' would probably work
better.  the level of technology i am indeed going for is pre-chimney.

<grin>  Yes, actually I almost suggested a roof hole as an alternative.  I
honestly did not consider the high-window option, but now thinking of the
model, and how the windows are indeed high, it makes sense.

i've always been amazed that most 'medieval' construction are more likely early
renaissance (being ~1500) to super-early modern (~1600)[1].  and I thought some
early medieval constructions might be welcome (~1000).

I agree that many of the more detailed MOCs we have seen in .castle have
been of the late middle ages or renaissance in style, especially the
'civilian' structures.  A few have gone as far as including glass windows
and muskets.  I do love the things people come up with, but I also try to
build with a slightly earlier technological level when building for the
Castle theme.

and on the 2nd note of the insurmountable mr. Hendo, I was thinking in adding
two sheep to the mix. just for fun. when the wife's away. >:o)

Oh my.  :D

[1] = academically speaking there only three post-rome eras.  Medieval, lasting
from 800 - 1600, modern, 1600-1950, and post-modern 1950-2003.  pre-medieval is
usually called 'antiquity'.  however, this is only a purely academic measure,
and sometimes i find this timeline: medieval (800-1500), renaissance
(1500-1700), industrial (1700-1900), modern (1900-1950), post-modern (1950+).

and enough of the basic history lesson, for any most basely interested.

Actually, I quite enjoy the history lesson.  And I would agree with your
view that the Renaissance should be its own period separate from medieval
(although I can see why academics might consider it a sub-period of the
Middle Ages, since the very word Middle implies between ancient and modern).

Speaking of history, and back on topic, I seem to recall learning that
during part of the Middle Ages (circa 1300 I think), there was some sort of
mini-ice-age during which average annual temperatures in northern Europe
were colder than normal for a few decades.  The regular use of chimneys and
centralized fireplaces in European homes stemmed from this time.  I suspect
the use of glass windows in weathier homes may have also started about then.
If I am remembering correctly, this weather change also affected what was
once a thriving wine industry in southern Britain.  But my memory is vague
on all this.  Does anyone else have any solid facts?  Just curious...

Cheers,
-Hendo