 Castle / 16324
Re: The New and slightly Animated movie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:36:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
OOOHHH!!!
That was cool!
Tre cool!
Super cool!
DAS UBER-COOL!

Easily one of the best animations I've seen, even without stop-motion
animation.  Actually, probably even better without it!  It has an 'anime' feel
to it, in how the movement is suggested rather than shown.  Stop-motion always
seems clunky and choppy to me, while what you've done here, while simplier, is
much more believeable.

Wow!  Thanks!  I didn't expect as much enthusiasm.  I guess I'm just being
overly-critical, or you're just being too nice ;)  I do agree with your opinion
on stop motion animation, though it's a lot harder to do post-production
animation, while stop-motion is much more time-consuming.

criticism:
1. the sword 'swipes' could be just a hair longer on screen..

Easy to change, I'll have to play with it.

2. the spell (i think its a spell) that garadaine uses at the end looks a
little cut-out. i think using a gaussian blur with a low radius could help make
it look more believable.

Harder to change.  In order for it to be a round object with a transparent
background, I have to have the image of the spell be in .gif format.  I have
yet to figure out how to do a blurr effect with mixing transparent pixels with
images yet in Flash, or effectively in Photoshop, while keeping the transparent
pixels transparent (as a .gif.  .jpg images cannot, to my knowledge, have
transparent pixels).

but that's it. the animation is tre-cool (see above) the wording is also cool.
you know, if you keep getting better at this, you're going to have to make an
*animated* story chapter!  i know it will be huge and totally destroy your
bandwidth usage, but whoa would it be AWESOME!  like a fifteen minute
mini-epic..

Uhh.... hmm.... Well, I guess I could even further devote my life to my website
;)  In all seriousness I've thought about it.  As for wether or not I actually
do it, I haven't made up my mind.  It'd be neat, but very hard and time
consuming to do.  Beleive me, I've thought long and hard about it.  If I did
create an animated story chapter, It'd most likely be in the form of a comic
strip, with animated cells.

once again,
you've out done yourself!
-lenny

Thanks again Lenny!  You've consiseantly been one of my biggest fans.  I hope
in the future I won't disappoint.

And thanks for the wonderful feedback!
--Anthony