 Castle / 16079
Re: New MOC: Akael Me'Han Dragon Project.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:12:24 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:

Thanks for the comments. My apologies for
a late post, but this school week is hectic
once again, meaning less time on lugnet.

I like the idea of using the dragon arms for
accenting the eyes, very cool idea. I think I
would prefer them turned around and on top of
the eye, so that the arms would be like
'eyebrows', with the spikes of the arms sloping
to the back.  I realize, however, that doing so
would require a complete redesign of your
dragon's head.

Of course, a redesign and another trip to
bricklink. For this project, I basically
used every lightsaber blade, clip and brown
plate I had in stock, but I think it turned
out fine. (although I would have wanted to
redesign the head differently. Maybe I'll
use the werewolf minifigure head for my next
project...)

Nice drawing.  I can't help but think, though,
that your dragon's wings (if they are wings)
are facing backwards.  Maybe I'm just missing
something?

No, you didn't miss anything. Actually, when
I started drafting the original project, I
planned for the wings to be much larger than
they turned out, but funds lacking and a
question of support, I decided to scale it
down a bit. This led to the reversing of the
wings so their weight wouldn't produce
pressure against the head.

I'd love to see some more pictures of an overall
view of your MOC.  From what I've seen you've
successfully created a very lean, wicked looking
dragon.  I like the construction of the spine,
it gives the creature a very smooth hunched
over look.  It also appears from your pictures
that your dragon has a hard time holding up its
own weight, it's hard to find small joints that
have a lot of resistance to them.

Well, when I get the chance to use the garage
again. (it's the only place in my house with
flourescent lighting), I'll probably disassemble
the model to further explain the schematics of
it. (spine construction, legs, connections,
head construction and wing system.) I'll
probably post a few more pics of random poses,
and If I get the pieces, showcase an improved
version.

Addressing the criticism, yes, I know the
dragon has a serious stability problem, and
that's probably due to its intricity. Even
with reinforcing the hinge system of the
neck, the front head needs a few more clips
(which I don't have) for actual stability.
From what I know, the only sets that have
decent joints are bionicle, but I'll find
an alternative solution eventually. Maybe
all it needs are two extra legs and a better
tail? Anyway, thanks for the comments. I
was aiming for an imtimidating model.

All in all, Nice job.

Thanks!

-Anthony

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y

Additional comments are welcome.
(Eric Sophie, what's your take on this?
I'd like to hear your comments/ criticism.)