 Castle / 15585
Re: Help with construction detail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:
FUT ---> .castle only

Hi, folks!

I'm in need of some suggestions as to how to attach this helicopter rotor:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5031

to a Technic axle.  The rotor is designed to fit on a pin and spin freely,
I'd like to use it as the base for the vanes of a windmill and connect it
mechanically to a waterwheel below, which means axles and gears.

Any suggestions; whether they be just plain brilliant, semi-inspired, or off
the top of your head; would be appreciated.

   I've linked one of those to an axle before; I used the 1x5
   hinge system to do it.  In effect you end up with something
   that looks an awful lot like a helicopter rotor, with the
   short bar 3 fingers one end/2 fingers at right angle on the
   other making the connection between 1x2 plates with two fingers
   on the end snapped on top of the rotor and the plates holding
   it to the piece attached to the axle itself, a 4x4 round
   brick (four of the 1x2 hinge plates with the three fingers
   coming out between the studs).  It worked fairly well, and
   each "arm" thus had two studs of connection instead of just one.
   The pieces used were four each of the 1x2 with two fingers,
   four of the extender bars, and four of the 1x2s with three
   fingers at the midsection (and of course the rotor and 4x4
   round brick).

   Hope that helps--stability, of course, was ensured by carrying
   the axle all the way through the rotor and holding it tight with
   bushings.  Sorry I have no graphical representation; I can't
   do anything about that at the moment.

   best

   LFB