 Castle / 10057
Re: some MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:26:49 GMT

The only thing I might change on the castle, is perhaps to make the • battlements
on the diagonal corners from the diagonal pieces instead of being squared off.
I usually do that on my castles, because I think it looks nicer and more
realistic.

i agree.. when i make in this in actual bricks, i think i am definately going
to try some sort of what you describe above. i haven't changed the ldraw
because it would require such architectural changes for everything i want
different and it isn't worth it to me to spend my time doing that.

Yeah, when you build on that scale, I think any decent gatehouse will end up
almost as big as your keep, but that may not be a bad thing.

in the castle there are three main structures. a main tower (right next to the
gate), the gate, and the keep. because of the size, having everything be the
same height would make it look cluttered. so i had to choose between the tower
and the gate; im going to choose the tower, because it will serve to protect
the gate, and for aesthetic reasons.

the idea is that archers and others will be able to dominate the area across
the front and side of the castle. the gate itself will be reimbursed by a kind
of two stage defence (neither are in the ldraw pic.. laziness again!) of a
drawbridge outfront and doors behind. unlike a structure like the king's
mountain fortress, the door and drawbridge will be seperated by about five or
six pegs.. that area will allow defenders to flank any invaders who might make
it past the drawbridge (like with slits in the walls for arrows and an area
above for hot oil).

the keep itself is built to be so strong that attacking it is silly, and
therefore used as solely the prince's resident (hes not powerful enough to be
called king). or at least, an invader would probably choose to attack the gate
(the obvious weak point) rather than the keep, which is superdefended.

and since im on a role,
the bottom area (of black 2x4's) is what i call the barrier level. the legomen
who built the castle as we see it now are foreign conquerors, and the barrier
is what remains of a native fort called a cairn. the locals built their forts
low.. they saw them as an aid to fighting and not a defensive structure in
itself. their main foes are nomads, who ride on horses and therefore higher up.
the cairn served as a raised mound so the warriors would be able to fight the
horsemen eyelevel. the mounds also served to break up cavalry charges and
attempt to control the nomads' movement during a battle.

if people were not fighting nomads, they would usually find an open field to do
battle rather than hide in forts (similiar to the japanese).. this idea also
helped to preserve local farms and merchant centers (which were usual built
near or around the cairns).

but this is only the beginning of my little lego world, i should wait until i
can share more before i say more.
-lenny