 Castle / 10049
Re: some MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:54:36 GMT

Nice stuff. I build my castles as big as my lego collection will allow, but I
do use the wall sections because I don't have anywhere enough bricks to build
walls just out of those. (My dream would be to be able to build something like
Pael and Jeff brought along to Brickfest, these big/huge castels made of just
the "standard bricks).

The only thing I might change on the castle, is perhaps to make the battlements
on the diagonal corners from the diagonal pieces instead of being squared off.
I usually do that on my castles, because I think it looks nicer and more
realistic.

thanks for the positive feedback.. as for the castle, im not real happy with
the way the front gate turned out.. i wanted the tower to be the main
defensive focus, and then the gate was the same size as the tower.

Yeah, when you build on that scale, I think any decent gatehouse will end up
almost as big as your keep, but that may not be a bad thing. As far as I know,
many of the later medieval castles, actually did center their defensive power
around the gatehouse, instead of a main tower, as the curtain walls became so
high that a central keep became redundant. I have seen pictures of a castle
(one of the ones built by Edward I in Wales), where the gatehouse is literally
as big as the main tower. In other castles, the gatehouse was even used as a
kind of keep.