 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 880
Re: How to improve rendering quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:21:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jake McKee writes:
So my question is: How can you make some quality renderings that have alot
of smoothness to them? Is there a way to tweak the POVRay settings or code?
Is there a better (read: Still free, or close to it) program out there that
is better for rendering? Is there some way to fix the offending LGEO parts?

What kind of quality improvements do you have in mind?  In other words, what
features or artifacts are there in your current renderings that you want to
remove or improve upon?

If you want better colors, some folks have had some luck using Anton Rave's
color definitions.  Bram Lambrecht has a L3P-compatable source file that
uses these definitions.

If your scene looks too artificial, you might try playing with the
composition of the scene:  placement and intensity of the lights, slight
adjustments in sub-model position and rotation, using distance fog effects,
adding incidental "noise" elements like vegetation, people, tools lying
around, etc.

Cheers,
- jsproat