 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 879
Re: Best sources for tutorials?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:15:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Jake McKee writes:
Does anyone happen to know of some good references/resources for learning
POV-Ray for Windows? I have the basic basics down, but I am starting to
wonder more about texture mapping, camera and lighting positions, etc. and
can't seem to find a good introduction tutorial.
The POV-Ray homepage www.povray.org has links to a ton of resources.
These include a multitude of tutorials sites, each one specializing
in something different.

It should be noted that the vast majority of these tutorials are obsolete,
having been written for POVRay 3.0.  The current version, 3.1, has a new
"media" feature and completely breaks any scenes using the older "halo"
commands.  IMHO, the new stuff is well worth the learning curve, but it's
quite a steep curve.

A google search on "povray media tutorial" turns up some good stuff,
however.  My favorite tutorials are found here:
http://free.prohosting.com/~olana/povray/povray.html

As well, the POV-Ray people run their own
private newserver, much like LUGNET, at news.povray.org (check it
out here http://www.povray.org/groups.html).  In there you should
be able to find the help you need, or failing that, the POV-Ray
experts who can answer your questions.

This would probably be your best bet for the time being.

Cheers,
- jsproat