 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2740
Re: L3P question concerning MPD files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:47:37 GMT

James Reynolds wrote:

written with Visual Basic?

My language of choice for that tool would be C#, and the part that
calls L3P could easily be put into an external assembly (i.e. a
DLL).

Why not learn POV-Ray?  If you know VB or C# or any language for that
matter, POV-Ray is really simple compared to them (much less syntax
to learn).

Well, can you create a POV-Ray file which will automatically read in an
LDraw MPD file and use settings files or maybe even a GUI to select
submodels from the MPD file and render those to several picture files?
That would be an interesting idea, of course.

I'm creating a new LDraw POV-Ray video tutorial that I hope to get
online today or sometime this week.  I really hope you guys watch it
because this stuff is so simple in POV-Ray once you learn how, and it
is so much easier and more powerful than writing separate apps.

Ok, I'm going to watch it, no matter in what way I write my app :-)

And POV-Ray code is cross-platform but VB and C# are not.

Actually, using Mono instead of .NET, C# programmes can be run on other
platforms than Windows, too, in an increasing extent :-)

Regards,
Florian