 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2732
Re: L3P question concerning MPD files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:02:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jeffrey Jarvis wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Florian Haag wrote:
Hi,
am I mistaken if I presume that L3P doesn't offer any means to render
another one than the very first model in an MPD document? If so, are
there any tools already to help that? Or is it maybe planned for the
next version which I've read about in some articles here?

Regards,
Florian

Or instead of learning POV-Ray code language, just get in the habbit of
exporting the scene model (IE the one with all the sub models from inside MPD
file assymbled in), and rendering it. Thats the way I do it.

I think it should be mentioned that the MPD format was specifically designed to
allow you to encapsulate all of the submodels of one single model into a single
file for convenient transmission to others.  It wasn't designed to allow for
multiple different "main" models to be grouped into one file along with their
dependents.  Jeffrey didn't make it entirely clear if he was doing this or not,
but I wanted to point that out.

Also, the spec is very clear that the first model found in the MPD is the main
model.  While MLCAD will let you select any model in the MPD, and then correctly
show it and its children, you really should have the first one be the main one.
Even MLCAD selects the main one when you first load the file.  You have to
manually switch to a submodel if you want to view that.  I understand that it
might not be clear in MLCAD that the first model is special, since it just shows
up on the list with all the others in the Document section (and can even be used
as a submodel of one of the other models).  However, it is special, and should
NEVER show up as the submodel of any of the other models in the file.

If you have already created a model where the main model isn't the first one,
just go into the Multipart->Model Sequence dialog in MLCAD, and move your actual
main model to the top of the sequence.

--Travis