 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2641
Re: LEGO error with POV-RAY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:52:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Reuven Kawesch wrote:

   In lugnet.cad.ray, David J. Perdue wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Reuven Kawesch wrote:

(snip)

(snip)

Then, POV-RAY spit out tons of error messages. E.g.:

So alas, no render.

And, to add salt to the wound, LPub gives me:

Gee, thanks.

Hi Reuven,

Sorry if the LPub dialog is not very helpful, but the interface between LPub and POV-Ray is by definition not very communicative.

LPub does not perform renders on its own, it uses external renderers to get the job done.

LPub fires up L3P to convert from LDraw to POV, and then fires up POV-Ray on the generated POV file. LPub does not know how to get the error messages off of the POV-Ray window, and therefore merely encourages you to look there yourself.

LPub knows only a tiny bit about POV-ray format, and what it knows is ony tested up through POV-Ray 3.5.

So now I’ve gotten LGEO parts to work, but still not to my satisfaction. I think it may be a problem that L3P isn’t converting non-LGEO parts from their DATs, but what do I know?

The error messages from POV-Ray point out a problem in a lgeo file and line number. Did you consider finding that file and fixing the syntax problem and continuing?

Again, any help to get this working is appreciated.

All these layers of stuff are caveat emptor (buyer beware), and things will get easier to resolve as you make it further along the learning curve.

Thanks, Reuven

Kevin