 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2640
Re: LEGO error with POV-RAY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 04:57:48 GMT

   In lugnet.cad.ray, David J. Perdue wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Reuven Kawesch wrote:

(snip)

   (2) Open LPub. (It will probably ask you first to tell it where you have L3P on your computer.) Use the menu bar to open your LDraw file. Then select the “Renderer” tab, then the “L3P” tab, then the “Model” tab, then you’ll see an option for LGEO pieces. You must first “find” the LGEO pieces on your computer before LPub allows you to use them. Use the browse button to locate where you have your LGEO pieces. LPub is looking for a file called, “l2pelmt.tab”. You should have this with your LGEO pieces--select it in your browsing window, and LPub should be satisfied.

(3) On LPub in the menu bar at the top, select Generate --> Complete Model. Pov-Ray should render your model--with LGEO pieces.

This worked for me. Try it and see how it works for you.

(snip)

OK, so I tried your method. The good news: I got it to work. The bad news: not on my model.

So first for the good news. I used the pyramid model that comes with LDraw. I was able to make this render, using LPub, LGEO and POV-RAY:

Compare that to this image, which was rendered with L3P and POV-RAY, without LGEO:

Unable to embed http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/reuvenk/POVerrors/pyramid.bmp in /cad/ray/?n=2640

(I’m actually starting to wonder why I really want LGEO. I think the LGEO one is much simpler. I’ll assume this is a bad MOC to demonstrate LGEO with and move on).

Now for the bad news. I tried doing this same process to this model.

The first error I got was this:

So I pressed OK and continued.

Then, POV-RAY spit out tons of error messages. E.g.:

So alas, no render.

And, to add salt to the wound, LPub gives me:

Gee, thanks.

So now I’ve gotten LGEO parts to work, but still not to my satisfaction. I think it may be a problem that L3P isn’t converting non-LGEO parts from their DATs, but what do I know?

Again, any help to get this working is appreciated.

Thanks, Reuven