 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2642
Re: LPub and Mega-POV Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, David J. Perdue wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to render using POV-Ray 3.6 and Mega-POV 1.21 or 1.1, and I am having
some technical difficulties.

First, I have the following installed on my computer:

LPub version 2.4.8.0 (works fine)
Pov-Ray 3.1 (works great)
Mega-POV 0.7 (works great)
Pov-Ray 3.6.1 (works sometimes)
MegaPOV 1.1 and 1.21 (I've tried both and they don't work)

I like using Mega-Pov for my building instructions because of the nice outlining
feature. I have had wonderful success with Pov 3.1 and Megapov 0.7, but my
transition to pov 3.6 and megapov 1.21 (or 1.1) has not gone well.

Here's the scenario. I open LPub, select my LDraw file to render, select the
Mega-Pov renderer, and tell LPub to render a "Complete Assembly." LPub obeys,
opens Megapov, and Megapov dies with a "can't find LPub.ini error." I can get
all my other versions of Pov-ray to work, so why wouldn't this work?

In addition, when I manually use megapov to render an image (which it can) it
does not use the outlining feature I want. Despite entering the proper line of
code in the program for enabling the Mega-pov features, I have not been able to
get Megapov version 1.21 or 1.1 to outline anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

David J. Perdue

Hi David,

  From what I remember, MEGA-POV 0.7 is the last one that had the edge line
capabilities.  It was dropped in the follow on version of MEG_POV and I don't
know if subsequent versions ever brought it back.

  So, if you're set on ray tracing with edge lines, you'll have to stick with
POV-Ray 3.1.1 and MEGA-POV 0.7.

  If your goal is edge lines, and you really don't care about they ray-tracing
part, I would recommend using the latest version of ldglite or LDView.  These
are both excellent renderers that have been extended to make it easy for LPub to
interact with them as it would with L3P/POV-Ray.

Kevin