 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2075
2074  |  2076
Subject:
2 Methods of Making CG Animations (was Re: LEGO animation software)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:39:38 GMT

--snip--

Does ld4d modeler create an mlcad file for every frame then render it?

Steve

Nope. =(

It will render the animation in a movie file format (..mpg, .avi, etc..) when you are done. LD4DModler does not go the route of frame-by-frame animation as POV-Ray does, it uses 3D modeling.

(The following text comes from a chapter from Virtual LEGO that did not make it into the printed book: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=10725)

Frame-by-Frame is the easier of the two methods, since it is a straightforward technique to learn. 3D modeling requires some understanding of how things move and some experience with 3D modeling software.

Frame-by-Frame

Frame-by-Frame as the name implies is the creation of an animation by creating a series of static images that when shown in a certain sequence provide the illusion of movement. Two basic methods exist to create the illusion of movement. In the first method one moves the object in question a few increments over a series of several frames to cerate the illusions of movement. In the 2nd method the position of the camera moves over a series of several frames to also create the illusion of movement. The first method was how the first cartoons were created. A cartoonist would draw say a car with a blue sky and sun on a sheet of paper that we will call a frame. This would become the 1st frame of the cartoon. The next frame would again show the blue sky and sun. The car, however, would be drawn a bit offset from the first. After a series of say hundreds of frames if one looked at them consecutively and fast the illusions of a car moving could be seen. As one can see this method took forever and was time consuming having to create hundreds of thousands of frames for a full-motion cartoon. As time progressed the industry created tricks to decrease the time it took to create cartoons. The separation of static and animated objects was done. Static object were drawn once while animated objects were still drawn in a series of frames. In the final production static images were overlaid with the animated frames to provide the illusion that the object was moving in the environment provided by the static image. To further reduce the amount of drawing, simple movements were drawn and reused throughout the animation. A character walking may have required ten frames. These ten frames were reused whether the character was at the park or inside the mall. The invention of computers further reduced a cartoonist workload. In the span of hours a computer could render hundreds of thousands of frames, while it would take a dozen cartoonist years to complete the same workload. The computer also introduced a new method to animate: camera movement.

The concept is simple. Movement is relative to the viewer’s vision. By moving a camera that starts off at a distance closer to an object the final result on film is the viewer getting closer to the object. If one adds a background to the object and makes the background move as well the illusion that the main object is moving closer to one is created. Think of fast moving space ships. The small model ships were not really moving. The camera was and the illusion of speedy spacecrafts was achieved.

3D Modeling

3D modeling is done with the use of a computer and special 3D Animation software. The idea is to create two structures of any object that will move: 1) a static 3D model of the object and 2) a skeleton structure of the object that defines how the object can move. The software then uses the 3D model and renders it based on the movement of the skeleton. The process is very computer intense and a firm understanding of object movement is needed. Until recently this method was not possible without professional commercial software. The creation of the program called LD4DModeler has changed this for the LDraw animation community. This program while not as sophisticated as its professional cousins provides the user the ability to create LDraw animations using the 3D modeling method. Unfortunately, just like its cousins (the professional 3D Modelers), LD4DModeler is not for the faint of heart. We will not be covering LD4DModeler in this book since it is designed for an intermediate to advance use of LDraw. If you are interested in learned how it works, we advise you to check out the official website for LD4DModeler at http://members.rott.chello.nl/rmelkert/LD4DModeler/.. The creator of LD4Dmodelers has creating some introductory tutorials that we recommend you read prior to attempting to use the software on your own.

-AHui

LDraw Help Desk