 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 132
Re: help!!! - light sources in POV-RAY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 03:01:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Franklin W. Cain writes:
I want there to be a "glow" (a light?)
from within the "gem" atop the staff (i.e., the 1x1 Cone),
and light from the "flames" near the "floor"
(for a nice diabolic effect).
But, when I've converted this DAT file using L3P-Add-On,
I can't get the light sources in the flames to convert.
[...]
I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Well, I don't know how helpful this is -- and I did have to add the lights
manually in the .pov file -- but the raytraced images shown here...

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/spiderwalker/pov.html

...used a POV point-source light rather than actually coloring any elements.
It's wicked slow to raytrace it, because there's tons and tons of internal
reflection, but I was pretty happy with the results looking "realistic"
enough for my tastes.  I wanted them to "glow" but also to show dark areas
accurately.

What I did, IIRC, was to place the point light source _inside_ the 1x1 round
plates -- somewhere about here:

       _______
    __|___x___|__    <--- x marks the spot!  :)

And I think I had to set the brightness of the light to something like
(3,3,3).  Then I set the ambient light down to something super-low like
0.1 on all of the elements, and also added three dark blueish-purple
overhead sky lights to try to make an eery moonlight.

--Todd