 CAD / MLCad / 76
Re: How to break up multi-dat files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 09:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann writes:
Currently MlCad scannes a .dat file on its first access and cashes its data,
these data are used for the preview which is not a problem since the data of
a dat file do not change (at least not for MLCad during run-time). But the
sub-models you create are modified all the time, so the program would have
to update and refresh the preview every time you change something.

Beside some fault corrections and some compatibility enhancements I'm also
looking for an easy possibility to few the sub-models too, and I think I
found already something .....

Michael

J G Gregory wrote in message ...
I thought the previews were "canned".  I wouldn't mind a similar ability to
can sub-model images.  In other words, put the burden of updating on the
user.  Not having any way to get a preview image is pretty frustrating,
especially if you do a lot of building with standard chunks.  Or maybe I am
missing some other way to do it?  I just need some understanding on how it
works right now, and I could probably do what I want.

--Jack Gregory

Michael Lachmann <m.lachmann@xpoint.at> wrote in message
I'm hardly working on previewing the sub-models. The problem with it is • that
if you edit a sub-model which is used in another sub-model (e.g. you have
two sub-models A and B. A includes B and you are editing B) you are
modifying the view of the sub-model using it as well (means A is changed • as
well if you change B ...).

So without redrawing the preview all the time I will have to freeze the
model previews until the modified one is saved ... otherwise MLCad would
redraw all the time :-(

J G Gregory wrote in message ...
I apologize for lack of terminology.  Here is the question:

I downloaded the AT-ST model posted a couple days ago, and want to build • it.
But it is a "multi" file or whatever they are called, and only has 5 or • so
parts at the top level.  I really want to drill down into these and see • how
they are made.  But short of manually editing the dat file, how can I do
this?

One more thing.  The preview pictures show big red x's.  (MLCAD 1.5) How • can
I get proper pictures put in there?

Is there a document which contains answers to these questions?

--Jack Gregory

Some means of requesting a cache refresh would be very useful for those times
when I use MLCad to review parts I am authoring. Most time the automatic LDLite
window provided by LDAO is OK, but occasionally I need to see several views and
MLCad is great for this. But having to restart it each time I want to review
progress is a real pain.

Chris