 CAD / MLCad / 661
Re: Mirroring models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:20:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Bryan Hodges writes:
Can anyone tell me how to mirror a model in MLCad or LDraw?  I'm currently
utilizing MLCad to make dat files of my Imperial Shuttle, and I've completed
the left wing for it.  I'd like to simply mirror the right wing, since it's
an exact symetrical copy of the left wing.  This would save me quite a bit
of time as the wings are quite large.  I've figured out how to copy parts
and entire models, but I cannot find a way to mirror the parts... I'm sure
it's possible as it seems like a logical function to include in a cad
program, but I just can't figure out how it's done.  Any information would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bryan

If you save your wing as a file (ex. wing.dat), then you can open a new file
in MLCad, go to Multipart-Import Model, find your wing.dat file and import
it.  Then select the main model of the newer file, click the Add-Part
button, check the "custom" box toward the bottom and type in wing.dat.  Then
copy the wing.dat piece and paste it, so you have a second copy.  With the
second copy selected, use Edit-Move-Enter to bring up the "Position and
Orientation" dialogue box, click on "Use rotation matrix values", then add a
"-" (negative sign) before the first "1" in the rotation matrix.  This will
mirror the wing across the x=0 plane.  If you created your wing with its
major axis along the x axis, then instead type a "-" before the last "1" in
the rotation matrix to mirror across z=0 plane.

You'll notice some odd behavior when moving the mirrored part.  If you click
and drag it toward x+, it will actually move toward x-.  Using the
directional buttons works normally, though.

Do remember that if you print out a parts list, it will not have the correct
wing pieces listed (i.e. it will list two left wing parts and no right wing
parts).

-John Van