 CAD / MLCad / 2084
    Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Dean Earley
   (...) Select the part you want it to pivot around then select the rest. It will always pivot around the pivot point of the first item selected. (...) You can make it visible and draggable with the mouse. (...) Down 2 LDU :) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

        Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) But, rotations are limited to parallel to the X,Y and Z planes, so I don't think you are addressing what I'm talking about. Imagin you had an axle that is at 45 degrees in the XY plane, and you have a biped leg you want to rotate around the (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

        Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Travis Cobbs
     (...) That's not true. It is true that doing rotations around arbitrary axes requires a lot more understanding of what's going on, but MLCAD allows you to define the full 3D vector around which the rotation happens, so you can rotate in any plane. (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

         Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) Travis, I understand 3D rotation matricies enough to know that they let you rotate around any axis, but I think MLCad's GUI only lets you rotate about, X, Y, or Z, because of limitations of its user interface. Michael has meta-commands for (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

         Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Travis Cobbs
      (...) I was actually referring to the current MLCad interface. In the keyboard entry rotation dialog (Edit->Rotate->Keyboard Entry), you can specify a full rotation vector, plus rotation angle. Specifying a vector with 1 or -1 in the X, Y, or Z axis (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

         Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Ross Crawford
     (...) Not just a mouse, but Edit / Rotate / Keyboard Entry allows you to enter a full rotation matrix (among other things). Of course you need to know what matrix values to enter to get your desired result, but it's there in the GUI. (...) Yes, that (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

         Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) The new unpublished LSynth deals with this without any extra information. I use and LDraw file to desribe how to translate/rotate parts to the assumed default position/orientation. LSynth limits pulleys and gears to be planar. It also assumes (...) (19 years ago, 9-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

        Re: What about a LEGO TECHNIC tutorial —Niels Bugge
   (...) I think I forgot mentioning this yesterday, but that is excactly the point where it's practical to use submodels: Make a submodel with the axle and the biped leg. In the main model you turn the axle/submodel (45 degrees), and in the submodel (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)