 CAD / MLCad / 1730
Re: Some secrets of MLCad revealed ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:16:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann wrote:
Ok since a lot of you are asking me to provide more details about MLCad's
rendering technic I'll go and tell you some details about it:

3) Image buffering
This once reduced drawing most but doesn't work for perspective display.
MLCad is using the scanline conversion and z-buffering methode for drawing.
Now imagine a stud drawn several thousend times and each time you calculate
the scan lines and depths of the single points.
Image buffering now is drawing the part into a virtual buffer first, and
then using this virtual buffer to actually draw the image. Now you do not
have to do all the calculations again, but can use precalculated information
instead. When drawing the buffer MLCad checks the actual depth of the stud
drawn and adds the z-buffer information for every single pixle to this
depth. The further processing is the same, if the pixel is in front of the
last pixel drawn, it will be drawn, otherwice not.
The image buffer itself is only reset if the orientation of part is changed.
This algorythm is used depending on the user setting even for complete
bricks. This means MLCad no longer has to calculate every single point,
line, triangle .. for the same part as long as it's orientation remains the
same.

I'm a bit behind on this thread, but thanks Michael.  That explains
a lot.  I never thought of the image buffering approach for orthographic
displays.  It's a really neat idea!  I do have a question though.  How
do you handle colors in the image buffers?  I guess the image buffers
don't go with the cached parts, but with a colored instance of the part?
Or do you add the color when you adjust to the final Z values?

I can imagine using precalculated images would do wonders for rendering
all the studs in an orthographic projection.  Have you thought about
using Lars' bounding box occlusion test for eliminating needless stud
drawing in pespective renderings?

Thanks,

Don