 CAD / MLCad / 1722
Re: Some secrets of MLCad revealed ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:34:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann wrote:
Ok since a lot of you are asking me to provide more details about MLCad's
rendering technic I'll go and tell you some details about it:

2) Point reduction and Compression
Inside the cached file MLCad maintaines a list of objects representing
lines, triangles ... where each object stores all its points and parameters.
After a while I found it much more practicable to compress this drawing
information. Therefor MLCad can check the primitives after loading the file
for its points and creates a list of points used in this file.
If you check a file you will find a lot of equal points in there. Now each
point is stored only once, and therefor now calculated only once during
rendering. The primitive objects now refere to a point instead of carrying
it.

Regards,
  Michael

Thanks Michael.
Is the list of points sorted? How do you sort it? Hashcode? Octree?

Regards,

Damien