 CAD / MLCad / 1727
Re: Some secrets of MLCad revealed ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 01:03:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Damien Guichard wrote:
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann wrote:
"Damien Guichard" <damien.guichard@wanadoo.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
Thanks Michael.
So, at loading time, each added point has to be compared to all points in the
point list. Does this impact the loading time of big parts or big models in a
significant manner? Or is it only minor slowdown?

Regards,

Damien

So far I could find out, it doesn't effect loading much, I think it was
something about 10% less then without this feature. I must say, I haven't
tried using hash algorythms to find the point more quickly, but so far I
remember there is an average of arround 400 points in a file, and search for
an 12 byte value is not so hard ...

Michael

Ok, the practical figures relativize the problem for everyday use.
Thanks Michael.

For the sake of sharing here is how I imagine a sorted point list.

<snip>

Cool! Should perform a lot faster on searching I would expect

400 points? That seems low to me. Most of my models have more than that many
elements! Even with shared vertices that seems low.