 CAD / MLCad / 169
Re: MLCad Suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:59:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Steve Demlow writes:
Steve Hodge <stephenh@ihug.com.au> wrote:
Ugh, you said to remove the modes and then put them back in! (with an • alternate
means of activation). And using the mouse movement direction as the factor
determining which mode to use is bad - it's unintuitive and difficult to do
reliably (it's very easy to bump the mouse vertically a pixel or two even
though you mean to make a horizontal movement).

Gestural activation is way different than true modal operation • ...
As for "unintuitive", that is a matter of opinion.  I'd argue that
traversing several levels of menus is at least as unintuitive.

I agree it's better than the current system and not really modal operation but
I still find it unintuitive. There is no obvious reason why vertical movement
should be zoom and horizontal movement should be pan. Worse, it's extremely
unlikely that someone using the UI for the first time would be expecting the
directions to trigger different operations. I'm not suggesting "several levels
of menus" as an alternative (though it would be intuitive - people expect that
sort of thing to be in menus, at least the zoom operation). Dropdown lists
seem to be the most common control for zoom operations.

Using
vertical movement to specify zoom/scale is already what's done in MLCad.
Using horizontal movement of the same button (which currently does nothing)
for panning does not seem like a great leap to me.  In my experience,
panning is more often done in a horizontal direction anyway.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I never knew that MLCad lets you
zoom with a vertical movement. I've always used the buttons. Mouse movement is
simply not an obvious operation to associate with zoom.

All of that said - there's no reason not to have both the gestural activation
and a dropdown list for zoom. I'm really only objecting to only having the
gestural activation.

One advantage I do see with gestural activation for zoom is that it could
allow different zoom factors for the different views.

Regards,
Steve Hodge