Re: Site changes on LDraw: Opinions sought
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:47:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
Tim,

What do you guys think about a total redesign of LDraw.org? The PostNuke
interface does make it easy for many people to edit the site--a key reason we
did the CMS in the first place. But, it does appear clunky throughout and could
really use a facelift and some nice custom graphic design to bring it up to
date.

I wonder if anyone in the community would be willing to either 1) build new,
sharp-looking skins and graphics for the current CMS or 2) update the CMS
entirely (CMS'es have progressed far beyond PostNuke in efficiency and
aesthetics since a few years ago--see http://www.expressionengine.com or
http://www.joomla.org).

Obviously that's up to you guys (and the volunteer availability), but I'd love
to see the site get a facelift.

-Tim

before we talk about design I'd like to see some idiosyncrasies solved which
give us webmasters sometimes a hard time.

w.

Could you explain? Are you talking about software idiosyncracies, organizational
process idiosyncracies, or...?

I'm talking about the PostNuke nuts'n'bolts. this kind of stuff:
http://four.pairlist.net/pipermail/ldraw-tech/2007-March/001394.html

I'm not -pushing- for redesign per se, I'm just bringing it up for discussion as
I think it would be really cool to see an LDraw.org facelift. I respect the time
Orion has put into PN customization for LDraw's needs--a re-skin of the PN would
probably work out just fine.

I'm a big fan of the "web 2.0" look, though I know it's borderline overused. I'm
leading our web site overhaul at work (copywriting, vendor selection, artistic
direction--but not actual design/coding) and we're headed for a straight web 2.0
look and feel (we're a colocation/managed hosting provider).

Given the traditional complexity of presenting any information related to the
LDraw system, I think the simple, to-the-point nature of these design principles
would serve the system (and the users and developers) well. Just have to find
someone who wants to do it :-)

every help to steamline the PN stuff is welcomed and much appreciated (where
technical support comes first) but there is currently no way to move away from
PN and blow all the customizations (with a highlight on orion's MOTM module)
done so far. I'm interested in LDraw not webdesign.

w.
(all the above is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the POV of
the steerco or the other content managers)