Re: Site changes on LDraw: Opinions sought
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:44:56 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Timothy Gould wrote:
Hi all,

If you've visited http://www.ldraw.org/ lately you will probably have noticed a
new set of big links up the top (I call them quick links). We've been trying to
make the site easier to navigate in order to help new and old users alike.

In order to make the links most effective we'd like to get an idea of what
people use the most. As such we have created a poll open to members and
non-members alike to find out what people use.

http://www.ldraw.org/index.php?module=LdrawMOTM&func=ballot&ballotid=39

Please note this poll allows multiple selections so please make use of them.

It's an easy poll and won't take much of your time and hopefully it will allow
subsequent visits to the site to be quicker and easier so please do take the
time to vote.

Thank you for your time,

Tim Gould (on behalf of the LDraw.org webasters)

Tim,

What do you guys think about a total redesign of LDraw.org? The PostNuke
interface does make it easy for many people to edit the site--a key reason we
did the CMS in the first place. But, it does appear clunky throughout and could
really use a facelift and some nice custom graphic design to bring it up to
date.

I wonder if anyone in the community would be willing to either 1) build new,
sharp-looking skins and graphics for the current CMS or 2) update the CMS
entirely (CMS'es have progressed far beyond PostNuke in efficiency and
aesthetics since a few years ago--see http://www.expressionengine.com or
http://www.joomla.org).

Obviously that's up to you guys (and the volunteer availability), but I'd love
to see the site get a facelift.

-Tim