Re: OMR Newsgroups for submission?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:45:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
At 08:10 PM 7/14/99 , Todd Lehman wrote:
Why would there need to be more than 1 group?

Enh...you're probably right.  But we could at least have .system and
.technic to separate those??

Product Programmes?  Let's see, what would that list look like, then?

   .cad.dat.omr.dacta
   .cad.dat.omr.duplo
   .cad.dat.omr.mindstorms
   .cad.dat.omr.primo
   .cad.dat.omr.scala
   .cad.dat.omr.service
   .cad.dat.omr.system
   .cad.dat.omr.technic
   .cad.dat.omr.znap

There probably aren't going to be many (if any) DUPLO or PRIMO models
anytime soon, and probably not any SCALA or service-catalog items, and
anything falling under DACTA is really a duplicate of something in another
system (for example, 9376, although part of the DACTA product line, is
really just a Castle set which happened to be sold only through DACTA; and
similarly 9104 is really just a DUPLO Toolo set sold that happened to be
sold only through DACTA.  So the list above could come down to:

   .cad.dat.omr.mindstorms
   .cad.dat.omr.system
   .cad.dat.omr.technic
   .cad.dat.omr.znap

Now that's still kind of weird because, although it's a grouping based on
the offical TLG product programmes, many people think of LEGO MINDSTORMS
as part of TECHNIC (although it isn't), and people also think of ZNAP as
being closely related to TECHNIC (because it is) but not part of the same
close system, even though there is a bit of overlap in the parts.

That leaves two main things -- LEGO SYSTEM stuff and LEGO "technical"
stuff (LEGO TECHNIC + LEGO MINDSTORMS + LEGO ZNAP).  There really aren't
enough MINDSTORMS sets to make sense having a separate group just for OMR
models, right?  (A discussion-based group like lugnet.robotics is a whole
different story.)  And there really doesn't seem to be much interest in
ZNAP, even though there are a dozen or so ZNAP sets with possibly more on
the way next year.  So really those two could be collapsed into .technic
leaving:

   .cad.dat.omr.system
   .cad.dat.omr.technic

But now what does having two groups instead of one really buy?  90% of the
models submitted will be LEGO SYSTEM models, with other 10% or so being
LEGO TECHNIC.  Each one will still have to be downloaded, viewed, and
approved individually by someone anyway before it can be part of any
official archive of sets.

This handles the submission for the OMR.  It would be possible to put a
submission form on ldraw.org that would post to these groups, right
Todd?

yup!

Ok, so what do you think about the group thing?  I think its a good idea •                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and would be a nice place to cumulate models of such type.  It is also a
convenient central place for model editors to pick up models to format and
submit.

Remind me again what "the group thing" is?

--Todd