Re: New LDraw contest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:22:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Krass wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Given the recent activity with animations, I've been toying with the idea of an
LDraw Animation of the XXX (where XXX is some specified time) contest.  I think
monthly is too short but how about quarterly or trimesterly?  Is there any
interest in this?

-Orion

Great Idea.  Have been waiting for this for a while.

I feel that you should base the time frame on how many responses you get.
If a lot of people enter then every month is good.  If not then adjust.

If nothing else will show what can be done with the software and where we are
going.

Because of the complex nature of creating animations, the contest may want to
allow contestants and/or winners to share details about their creation process.
This could also be tied to tutorials hosted on LDraw.org, and be used to
encourage people to write tutorials documenting their techniques.

As more people go through the exercise of animating for the purpose of the
contest, they could in turn better identify the shortcomings in the current
software available, and suggest areas of improvement.

Aside from having a fun contest to watch, I think something like this will
benefit the developer and user communities by giving them an exercise through
which to evaluate what is out there.

-Tim