Re: New LDraw contest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, James Reynolds wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Miguel Agullo wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Given the recent activity with animations, I've been toying with the idea of an
LDraw Animation of the XXX (where XXX is some specified time) contest.  I think
monthly is too short but how about quarterly or trimesterly?

Quarterly sounds pretty realistic. Bi-monthly would be better, but maybe too
optimistic. Depends on how many people out there think that they can contribute
... speak up, folks!

Is there any interest in this?

Lots!! I'm working on the Ldraw Minifig Motion include file for POVray and have
plenty of loops sitting around. Incidentally, I was planning on participating
regularly on the scene contest, but got derailed by this animation experiment.

I'd be sorta intersted, although I don't really like competitions.  I'm more
into the animation festivals where everyone makes animations, the best are
chosen, then they are all shipped on a DVD/VHS.

Bimonthly?  I imagine there would be 1 or 2 entiries.  If it is too often, then
you get unballanced results.  One month they are all really good.  The best gets
picked.  The next contest, none are good.  The best one gets picked, but it is
worse than all of the animations from the last month.

And how would you judge?  Is it fair to compare 2 minutes of a rotating camera
around someone else's models using public domain music (like mine:
http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/xgrid/povray.html) with an animation
that is a 5 minute story with self produced music, voice overs, scenic sets
(houses, landscape), multiple objects that have animated parts (like cars,
doors, windows, elevators, etc), animated minifigs, and post production like
drawing faces on minifigs? (I just gave away my plans...)  Such animations could
pull in money... is it fair to allow them into the competition?

Why not have this be a yearly contest, but have many winners.  Animation
categories can be divided by how long they are.  Prizes include links and such
on the ldraw.org site, but better, we produce a DVD with the winner's
animations.  The number of winners depends on what will fit on the DVD.  Or if
the video is stored as compressed files, we could probably fit *everyting*
submitted for the year...

I say why not have both. I like Orion's idea of a web contest, its light, low
overhead, and let the users decide the winner by voting. It will do well to
showcase work and also to stimulate competition with little work output on
Orion's behalf.

For your larger contest idea - certainly an annual animation contest would be
cool. It might take a little bit to see a large number of entries - ie. having
the web contest run for a while to gain exposure.

Would you be interested in organizing something like the animation festival?

-Tim