Re: New LDraw contest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.animation
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, James Reynolds wrote:

Why not have this be a yearly contest, but have many winners.  Animation
categories can be divided by how long they are.  Prizes include links and such
on the ldraw.org site, but better, we produce a DVD with the winner's
animations.

A bunch of really cool ideas there. The DVD could also serve as an ad for Ldraw
where appropriate. Projected onto an enormous wall in Legofests, for instance
8-)

As for the yearly categories, I have several ideas/suggestions. To make the
festival/contest/whatever work for the community in all senses, adding themed
categories (as well as grade of complexity)  might help. For instance, we could
have mechanical, minifig, special effects, landscapes, characters and a bunch of
other categories. We could also "seed" the categories with some of the existing
material (of the creators who agree to it, of course).

The idea, again, is to make it work for all. This way, new material builds upon
what is already there and hopefully we will see each category produce awesome
results at the end of the year. For that to happen, people need to add to those
categories, and then to add on top of that. This means that the entries
throughout the year would not be secret, but shared as much as each author
wanted. This seems to me to be in line with the fact that the Ldraw animation
community is very much in its infancy (in terms of organization, players, etc).

I'm coming from the angle of someone who is currently spending a lot of free
time tweaking between Ldraw and POVray, making animations. I wouldn't mind
contributing to the current scene of the month contests some stills based on
these animations (the actual movie files are still being held tight) But
participating in the SCOM would be for "pure fun". And a theme right now would
make all the difference. Nothing pops in mah head at the moment and if I were to
sit down in front of POV and think, then I'd rather be working with tweaking
POVray animations. But I had a theme or two with a scene or two to inspire me,
it all might be another story.

Anyway, I've also noticed that other movie internet sites have theme-based
contests, so it seems like a formula that inspires people.

Because they are great community tools, I want all the Ldraw contests to
flourish big time; so I'm ready to fire up participation some way or other. And
I would definitely be willing and have the time to lend a hand organizing this.
Don't know 'bout the skills, though ;-)